This month our big topic is building the immune system. It’s
a very good time to think about this, as the weather is good and most of us
will have had some sort of holiday in the last few weeks. So, if ever there was
a time when we all have a bit of spare energy, this is it! And energy is always
necessary when we are trying to change things about ourselves.
So, let’s have a think about the things we can do to improve
our immune system. What undermines it? Well, stress is the first thing. Let’s
look at that first.
Stress
I know that most of us feel pretty helpless about the stress
of our everyday lives. Whether it’s our job, our children, our partners or
anything else, we feel that we cannot change things. After all, we all have to
go to work, and we all have relationships with others. What can we do?
Sometimes you know, just a small change can make a big
difference. Taking a walk at lunchtime instead of sitting at a desk, trying to
see other people’s point of view, and taking time to do something we enjoy, all
these things can make a difference and reduce stress levels.
Exercise
We all know we should, and we are all too busy to do it! I
know that because I haven’t got a dog any more, days can go past without me
even going for a walk, let alone getting the cardio vascular workout that my
heart needs. So how about starting to look around now for classes that start in
the Autumn, weekly exercise classes that you commit to between now and
Christmas? You’ll feel and look a million times better, just by spending an
hour a week getting a bit puffed out!
Diet
Well, I’m still working on mine, how about you? My solution
to an unhealthy diet is to make sure I buy healthy snacks, and fill the
cupboards with them - that way, I might overeat, but at least I’m not stuffing
myself with fat and sugar! We all know what we should be eating, and you don’t
need me telling you yet again what the basics of a good diet are. So how about
changing one small thing? Make a commitment to eat a good breakfast every day,
something with fruit would be a good idea. Porridge and fruit, yoghurt and
fruit, muesli and fruit, cereal and fruit - the list is endless. My tip is to
make it quick, easy and mindless, so that you don’t even have to think about
it. And make sure you have some dried fruit in the cupboards - dates, prunes or
apricots - for those days when you have run out of fresh fruit.
Sleep
Sad but true. If you are too short on sleep, your immune
system will be affected. Two things to remember about sleeping:-
1.
Don’t expect to work all evening and sleep all
night. Leave a gap of at least three hours between work and sleep, and in that
time relax and chill out.
2.
Don’t panic if you can’t sleep. Remember that
there are yogis in India who never sleep, and they are doing just fine. Do your
best to just lie still and relax. Empty your mind. Let your body and mind rest,
even if you stay awake. Relax your breathing and stay calm.
That’s the four pillars of the immune system - stress,
exercise, diet and sleep. A small change in each area will help you to stay well over the
winter months.
I want to tell you about a supplement I have been trying for
the last few weeks. It’s called L-Theanine, and it’s made from a nice cup of
tea! It’s not made with the caffeine part of the tea, but from the element of
tea that makes you feel better, more cheerful and energetic. L theanine can be
used at between 100-200 mgs to improve focus and attention, or between 200-400
mgs to improve mood. It’s not going to work for everybody - none of these
things do - but I have found that since using it I am getting more done, and my
mood is definitely better. Is that the weather? Is it all the work I have been
doing on vulnerability ? I don’t know, but I know there has been an
improvement. Feel free to give it a try, it’s not expensive and it might work
for you too.
No comments:
Post a Comment